Thursday, February 15, 2018

Empty Chairs │ Gilberto Martinez


My personal anthem is "Empty Chairs", composed by Don McLean.  I first heard this song in 1972 at a Harry Belafonte concert, at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Hotel in Waikiki.  Belafonte sang it with only Sivuca, the late, great Brazilian guitarist backing him.  It was Sivuca's accompaniment that touched me so much.  I just had to learn it.  After the concert I went backstage to talk to Sivuca.  I asked him if he had the guitar arrangement for "Empty Chairs" written down.  Sivuca said no, and that he had created it completely by ear.  Well, over the next several days I became Sivuca's tour guide in Honolulu.  On his last day in Hawaii, Sivuca taught me the accompaniment for "Empty Chairs".  Mind you, it was only the accompaniment, and I had to figure out a way to insert the melody over it.  Well, I did manage to do just that, and it is the the best arrangement that I ever did for the classical guitar. The first opening measures of "Empty Chairs" are so poignant, so beautiful, that it still touches me deeply, forty-six years later. This performance was recorded live at the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel, Hau Tree Lanai, located on Waikiki Beach, in the summer of 1987.  Safe journeys to all the fans of Klaatu Barada Nikto, wherever you may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment